PRODUCTION LEAD BUTCHER
As we prepare to open a brand new 10,000-sqft processing facility this June, we are seeking hard working folks with a passion for good food to join our tight-knit team. This is a unique opportunity to get in on the ground floor and generate real, meaningful impacts each day as we develop and grow together.
We are looking for a skilled Butcher to provide high-quality meats and services to our customers. The Butcher will perform quality inspections, use meat grinders, knives, saws, and other tools to cut meat down into smaller portions, weigh, price, and package cuts, and ensure that displays and signage are attractive and eye-catching. You will also speak to customers to determine their needs, provide advice regarding proper cuts of meat and preparation methods.
- Cutting, grinding and preparing meats for sale.
- Cleaning and maintaining tools and equipment and ensuring displays and signage are accurate and attractive.
- Weighing, packaging, pricing, and displaying products.
- Keeping records, budgets, and inventory.
- Performing quality inspections on meats and other products.
- Negotiating and confirming orders with suppliers.
- Adhering to food safety and sanitation controls.
- Greeting and speaking to customers, providing advice, answering questions, and accepting orders or payments.
- Coordinating deliveries or order pickups.
- Education or food preparation or meat cutting experience.
- Ability to use hand tools, stand or walk for extending periods, lift heavy items, and work in cold environments.
- Additional training is often required.
- Knowledge of meat preparation techniques and cuts.
- Strong communication, task management, and customer service skills.
Job Responsibilities and Duties:
- Highly knowledgeable of cuts, trims, de-boning, ties, grinds, portion sizing, shrinkage, and curing and smoking of meats processed.
- Supervises, motivates, trains, and participates in educating employees on every aspect of the meat processing requirements.
- Inspect slaughtering activities of official state slaughter establishments.
- Perform ante and postmortem inspection of food animals presented for slaughter.
- Ensure that facility is using proper slaughter procedures. Help facility in developing Hazard Analysis Critical Control Point (HACCP) plan and Sanitation Standard Operating Procedures (SSOP) and make sure the employees follow the approved plan.
- Maintain and inspect equipment at facilities for required standards. Ensure all processed products are inspected and from approved sources. Inspect meat products and ensure the facility is following proper procedures.
- Review packaging labels for proper content.
- Ensure that all non-inspected products are not available for public use.
- Execute production schedules and managing inventory.
- Inspect equipment and work areas to maintain health and sanitation standards.
- Operation of scales and labeling processes.
- Facilitating proper paperwork for animal, drop off and processing sheet.
- Scheduling of employees and assist in review of time reports.
- Develop positive working relationships with all departments to facilitate a TEAM oriented atmosphere.
- Experienced in slaughter/processing of meat products and working with livestock required.
- Knowledge of Hazard Analysis Critical Control Points. Knowledge of the principles of sanitation and sanitary standards as prescribed by laws, rules, and regulations of state and/or federal government.
- Works well with team members, complies with company policies and food safety standards and makes contributions to maintain a positive work environment.
Concentration. Butchers and meat cutters must pay close attention to what they are doing to avoid injury and waste of product.
Customer-service skills. Those who work in retail stores should be courteous, be able to answer customers’ questions, and fill orders to the customers’ satisfaction.
Manual Dexterity. Butchers and meat cutters use sharp knives and meat cutting equipment as part of their duties. Therefore, they must have good hand control in order to make proper cuts of meat that are the right size.
Physical Stamina. Butchers and meat cutters spend hours on their feet while cutting, packaging, or storing meat.
Physical Strength. Butchers and meat cutters should be strong enough to lift and carry heavy boxes of meat, which often weigh up to 50 pounds.
Training. Butchers and meat cutters typically learn their skills on the job and the length of training varies considerably. Training for simple cutting may take only a few days. However, more complicated cutting tasks generally require several months of training. The training period for butchers at the retail level may last 1 to 2 years.
Work Schedules. Most butchers and meat cutters work full time. Butchers who work in grocery or retail stores may work early mornings, late evenings, weekends, and holidays. Meat cutters who work in animal slaughtering and processing facilities may work shifts that start in the early morning or in the afternoon or evening.
EOE, including Disability/Veteran
Maxwell Meats is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) and values diversity. Our EOE policy not only prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability, veteran status, genetic information, or any protected category under state, local or federal law, but also reflects our commitment to making all employment decisions without regard to an individual’s membership in a protected class. This policy relates to all phases of employment, including, but not limited to, recruiting, employment, placement, promotion, transfer, demotion, termination, rates of pay and other forms of compensation, selection for training, the use of all facilities, and participation in company-sponsored employee activities. As part of its equal opportunity policy, we also take affirmative action in accordance with applicable laws to ensure that women, minorities, protected veterans and individuals with disabilities have opportunities to join and progress within the Company.
Maxwell Meats is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive workplace and community. All employment decisions are based on the qualifications and merit of applicants and on business needs.